Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Cain's Punishment for Murder (Genesis 4:14-15)

Genesis 4:14-15

King James Version (KJV)
14 Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.
15 And the Lord said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the Lordset a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.

Thoughts:
After murdering Abel, Cain fears that others will slay him - perhaps either out of vengeance, or because they believed that God required the death penalty for murder at a time even prior to God requiring this penalty in Genesis 9:5, 6. God, in His wisdom, has Cain banished.